Wednesday, February 17, 2010


I am an old lady, I am lazy and selfish and occasionally slightly cranky, I spent my life being noble and self sacrificing, now it's my turn. The one thing I know for sure is I don't want any more responsibility than I already have, the bare minimum thank you very much. Over the years we have had dogs and cats, birds and guinea pigs, fish and turtles, all through, never again! If it poops and eats, whines in the night or needs to go to the vet, the answer is very clearly NO.

Well at 7:30 yesterday morning Scout and Johnny found a little lost Boston Terrier wandering the streets, no collar, no tags, just the cutest little face you have seen all day. They felt hopelessly needed, however, they did have to get school by 8:00, so they dropped him off at my house.

I did the right thing, I put signs up on the light posts, on my mail box, and on my gate. Well it wasn't my fault, I tried really hard not to like this dumb dog. He only wanted to cuddle up and lick my face, and he looked at me with those big puppy dog eyes. By the time I left for the office it was too late, I was smitten. I named him Dusty and I was sure he loved me too. I left the office a little late last night and I didn't get out until almost 8:00 p.m. and I was eager to get home, after all he would be cold by now and hungry, and I am sure he was lonely. So when I pulled around the corner I was very concerned, the signs on the lamp post were gone, the one on my mail box gone, and the one on the gate gone! And my worst fear of all was realized, Dusty was gone.

Why am I grieving, I don't want a pet.

Maybe I'll stop by the shelter this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment